Friday, February 11, 2011

The Force of Advertising

All right. I'm back and I'm sorry for neglecting to blog since November. I've had a busy couple months with the holidays, traveling, moving, settling, and job hunting. But enough with the excuses.

Five days ago when you were parked in front of the TV were you watching the Super Bowl? Or were you watching the commercials?

I was watching my plate overflowing with chips, dips and meat on toothpicks.

Nevertheless, I did enjoy the game and the commercials too. According to Trilix's Super Poll 2011, http://www.superpolliowa.com/
the viewers' favorite Super Bowl commercial was "Volkswagen: The Force" with 46% of the votes. Go to the website to see the rest of the results.



Why was this commercial for Volkswagen's 2012 Passat such a success? It goes without saying that it was cute, funny, and maybe even inspirational. Did you notice that there was no dialogue? No voice over? This was a case where good music in a commercial can get viewers' attention better than one of those familiar voices telling you to watch and buy their product.

Pretty cool?
I think so.

I also enjoyed Volkswagen's other commercial although it only received 2% of the votes on the Super Poll.


It's not because I love bugs, or because I love that song (although it does have a tendency to get stuck in my head and then I'm singing "blam blam!" to my husband for approximately 2.5 days). This commercial wasn't all about information either. It only hinted that VW has a new Beetle design coming out this year. And I think consumers will be on the lookout for it now.

I did think the Budwiser commercial--the western--was a little disappointing, but maybe that's just because the horses weren't the stars.

I like horsies.

So now I've told you my opinion. What were your favorite/least favorite commercials?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments and advice!